More than 68 participants
The oldest known year in which Woudsend was mentioned is 1337 when here, at this site, the fathers of the Carmelite Order founded a monastery.
The Blokmakkersteech is one of the nineteen alleyways in Woudsend. The alleyway structure includes the oldest part of the village, which is referred to as the Old Core.
  • Historie over Woudsend
  • Beleef mee door video's
  • Handige en leuke weetjes
  • Doe mee met de quiz

11 Alleyways Tour

The nineteen alleyways in Woudsend connect the centrally located Midstrjitte with the Ie waterway and with the western part of the village. Many of the names of the alleyways are reminiscent of the 18th and 19th centuries. The names of the alleyways take their origins from local tradition. Certain alleyway names are easy to understand; however, to grasp and interpret others requires historical knowledge and a hint of imagination.