More than 69 participants
The oldest known year in which Woudsend was mentioned is 1337 when here, at this site, the fathers of the Carmelite Order founded a monastery.
The Blokmakkersteech is one of the nineteen alleyways in Woudsend. The alleyway structure includes the oldest part of the village, which is referred to as the Old Core.
Today, on either bank of the Ie, stand private dwellings. This offers a totally different perspective to that of the 18th and 19th century.
A transverse alleyway is one that forms a connection between two main alleyways - in this case the Blokmakkersteech and the Bewaarskoallesteech.
Steeg 3
5

Wide steech

We are now standing on the crossing of the Wide Steech and the Midstrjitte. The Midstrjitte arose from a narrow sand knoll which formed an excellent base for building.
Steeg 3
6

Wide Steech

The Woudsend alleyways are generally not very wide. The narrower the alleyways, the more houses could be built in the longitudinal direction of the village.
The ‘t Lam flourmill is the oldest mill in the village. A miller was already mentioned in a document pertaining to Woudsend’s taxation service as early as 1511.
Steeg 4
8

Nauwe Steech

The name Nauwe Steech (Narrow Alleyway) may strike you as somewhat odd; for, after all, this looks like a fairly wide alleyway.
Steeg 5
9

Kollegat

The name of this alleyway has always remained a source of debate. The most probable meaning is ‘heksengat’ (witches’ lair).
Steeg 5
10

Kollegat

This bridge is vital for the village. Until the end of the 20th century there was no bridge at all and the opposite bank of the river could only be reached by boat.
The building on the right side of the alleyway - the premises of the Woudsend Verzekeringen insurance company - continues as far as the bridge and covers a surface of 3,700 m2.
The small characteristic building at number 32 on Midstrjitte used to be home to an off-licence run by eccentric Westra ladies.
In oude geschriften wordt Woudsend getypeerd als ‘een dorp met stadsfatsoen’.
Het huidige restaurant ‘t Ponkje was vroeger de doopsgezinde kerk van Woudsend. In 1722 gebouwd als schuilkerk of ‘vermaning’, in 1858 herbouwd naar ontwerp van S. Oppedijk.
The village was mentioned as Woldesende for the first time in 1337. The Frisian version of this name is Waldeseende (1447).
Steeg 8
16

Kapiteinsteech

Sailing the high seas was not without risk; many wars were being waged at sea, making international commercial shipping a risky business.
The Ee forms part of the renowned Eleven City Tour for ice-skaters. By the time the ice-skaters pass Woudsend, they have covered approx. 35 kilometres.
Steeg 10
18

Hellingsteech

An introduction to Woudsend would not be complete without a mention of the Woudsend skûtsje, the ‘Klaas van der Meulen’.
Steeg 10
19

Hellingsteech

The plot of grassland across from the water was once used for disposing of ‘jiske’ (waste) and for emptying ‘tûntjes’ (small tons).
Steeg 11
20

Smidsteech

Today’s Smidsteech is located on the site of the Noorderwerf and its slipway, so it seems logical to use the name Hellingsteech.
Steeg 11
21

Smidsteech

Commercial shipping saw a growing demand for larger vessels with increased draught and Woudsend lost its function in favour of cities and villages in Groningen.
At number 15 in the Midstrjitte, you will see a row of houses with red roof tiles. The right side of this row is home to a very special garage.
  • Historie over Woudsend
  • Beleef mee door video's
  • Handige en leuke weetjes
  • Doe mee met de quiz

11 Alleyways Tour

The nineteen alleyways in Woudsend connect the centrally located Midstrjitte with the Ie waterway and with the western part of the village. Many of the names of the alleyways are reminiscent of the 18th and 19th centuries. The names of the alleyways take their origins from local tradition. Certain alleyway names are easy to understand; however, to grasp and interpret others requires historical knowledge and a hint of imagination.