The Reformed church on the waterside was built in 1912. Prior to its construction, this was the location of Jelle Nijdam’s Noorderwerf shipyard, which also featured a slipway for launching vessels.
Rumour has it that…
The Smidsteech and Hellingsteech may have been inadvertently exchanged in the course of time. Today’s Smidsteech is located on the site of the Noorderwerf and its slipway, so it seems logical to use the name Hellingsteech. This potential confusion is also reflected in some old charts.