The present-day restaurant ‘t Ponkje used to be the Woudsend Baptist church. It was built in 1722 as a sanctuary or Baptist church; in 1858 it was re-built to a design by S. Oppedijk. The Frisian word ‘ponkje’ means ‘collection bag’, in reference to the building’s original function.
From church to restaurant
The small church was sold in 1967 to be converted into a restaurant. The church interior has been preserved for the greater part, including the pews for churchgoers and church council members, the gallery, the organ gallery, the pulpit soundboard and the collection bags. The 1969 sale agreement included the condition that the church may be used every year for a traditional Baptist community service on the first Advent Sunday. This tradition is still upheld and Baptist community members from all over South-west Friesland attend the service.